
Hi everyone.
I'm pretty much your typical singaporean undergraduate, a product of the conventional singaporean education production line. From primary school to secondary school, followed by jc and then SMU. No surprises there. I chanced across this blog while looking through my friends internet explorer history, and to be honest I'm rather surprised at the level of emotion captured in each post.
Now don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty encouraging that a great number of you seem so concerned about global warming. Hopefully, you guys will be able to effect some level of change to reduce the effects of global warming. Maybe others can be rallied to back this most noble of causes. The odds though are heavily stacked against you.
The truth is while the majority of Singaporeans are well equipped with knowledge about global warming, these same people feel little to no passion for the same cause. I am no different. Ask me about the causes, effects and remedies for global warming, and can give you anything you want, as if straight out of a textbook.
So why is it that so many Singaporeans have the knowledge, but quite frankly don't give a damn about global warming? The answer, my friends, is simple.
WE DONT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING BECAUSE EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING WAS FED TO US THROUGH A TEACHER OR A TEXTBOOK
Think about it, where else did we all learn about global warming? Was it by noticing the rising sea levels at east coast? Or perhaps the shifting of the monsoon season? Nope, we learnt everything we know today about global warming from that secondary 2 geography teacher and textbook.
That is pretty much sums up why i don't care. Because I didn't learn to feel for the earth through experience, I was told to feel for the earth. And if I wanted the typical, opinionated youth to feel for the earth, the last thing I'd want to do is to force it down their throats in the form of a test or exam.
No comments:
Post a Comment