Monday, November 12, 2007

???



The great aim of education is not knowledge but action
- Herbert Spencer

If only the quote was applied in our daily lives. Friends, how often have we been asked a question in our lives, in which we have learned the theory in school many years ago, but we reply 'I remember that i studied that years ago, but now, i've forgotten already..."

This is something of a phenomenon I find most strangely occuring in our sunny island of singapore. In a country where we pride ourselves on our education system, where we devout, neigh, even sacrifice large portions of out youth, to persue the highest possible educational quality, I feel that we have perhaps in our pursuit of happiness, that we have missed something out.

I have no stand on the issue of global warming. But then again, I have no stand on other pressing issues, like the political rule of Singapore, the health system, religious beliefs, but I am passionate that something is wrong with the education system, which creates what I feel, the reason why I don't have a stand on things.

The Issue of global warming can be used to showcase what I feel about the educational system.

We all learn about global warming in primary school... I think it might turn up in our PETS English text, or in Social Studies. We learn about the theory, we learn about the effects, but we don't really feel it. We then learn the causes in secondary school geography.

But like many other things we learn in geography, about volcanic erruptions, of earthquakes, of physical and chemical weathering, of how ox bow lakes are formed, all these things are foreign to us, and if you ask anyone how they feel about earthquakes in singapore, i doubt anyone would be able to give you any insight if they have not actually had the misfortune to expirience one overseas.

But doesn't that make my point? That the education system either teaches too many irrelevant things? Or perhaps for those issues that matter, we are so numbed by the education system that we are emotionally detached?

Thats my take. I'm not sure even if global warming is real. But if it was, our education system certainly doesn't think so.

Maybe to end, have you ever researched about global warming other than to watch an inconvinient truth?

No comments: