
To the person who typed the post that appears just below mine:
I never once bought the whole deal about global warming. What's all that discussion? Why should I care? I held the same attitude as you did!
Indeed, after all, if the earth is warming up, why should I care? How is it my prerogative?
Furthermore, if the world is dying, what can I as an individual do? If earth is choking, surely someone bigger than me should help?
Talk about big -- why not the institutions?
Sometimes the very institutions that advocate saving the earth destroy the opportunity for the earth to be saved.
If you watched the show "Who Killed the Electric Car" for example, you may know what I mean. An electric car was developed, comparable in power and speed, and of no great inconvenience to users at all. It saves the earth by reducing fuel usage Imagine the absence of fuel-powered cars -- it sounds like we have hope.
But alas, there is vested interest for many of the rich and powerful in the US society to stop the production of such environmentally friendly cars. The very people who have the power to bring about great changes for the environment, happen to be those who have vested interest in the oil trade. Necessarily, the electric car was quickly forgotten or HIDDEN AWAY.
Then I ponder -- if I don't take any action, how different would that make me from one of those hypocrites?
If I who inherit this earth do not play a part for earth, then who can we count on?
I say I ought to start changing the way I do things today. If I just used paper more sparingly, or be more thrifty when it comes to using electrical appliances. If I just used the public transport more instead of driving.
If it makes a difference, I ought to, and I will. Person who typed the previous post -- I say you try to do so as well. If you can save the earth -- why not. Let's not plague the earth for the humans who will live on this planet in future!
Love your neighbour as you love youself!
No comments:
Post a Comment